Monday, February 22, 2010

Laziness to the extreme

Dragging myself out the door for a run is so tough nowadays. I don't know what it is... but when faced with the option of bundling up in layers and facing the elements, like snow, and sub-zero wind chills, or lounging inside in my sweats with a fleece blanket on the couch, or even staying in bed... one of the later two options almost always wins. It's horrible.

I've been reading my old running journals and blog entries and I'm in awe of my old self. I can't believe how athletic I was! I read about my running escapades, my treadmill workouts, and my race results; my "easy" pace was so fast! Back in the day - less than 2 years ago - I was running sub-9-min miles on a regular basis and thinking nothing of it! I would occasionally push myself on the treadmill and reach 6-min miles! I did speed workouts every week. Most of the time, it was after a long day at work or right after an hour-long boxing class. Unbelievable! Today, I'm thrilled if I complete an easy run around 9:30! Anything faster than 8:30 is completely unimaginable at this point. What happened??

Well. Work happened. My boyfriend happened. New roommates happened. Lots of roommate drama went down. My gym membership expired. And life as I knew it came to a screeching halt. That's all I have to say about that.

Even now, it's a beautiful brisk winter day and the sun is shining. I've been telling myself to go for a run since I woke up 4 hours ago. Yet, I continue to sit on the computer doing absolutely NOTHING productive in the LEAST. Granted, I applied to 3 new jobs and chatted with a few old friends, but other than that, I have nothing to show for all the time I've spent today staring at a screen. If I had left for my run sooner, I most likely would have been back by now, showered, ate something, and could now be relaxing... reveling in my athleticism and feeling well-justified in having a nice, relaxing afternoon. As it stands right now, I'm disgusted with myself in the fact that I haven't even changed out of pj's or showered yet. I have no good reason for staying inside. It's not like I have anything pressing or urgent to do, and it's not like I have anywhere to be.

If I leave right now, I can still get in a decent run and make it back before dark.... okay, maybe I will run.... maybe... but then again the butterfly chair I'm sitting cross-legged on is just oh-so-comfy... and I'm getting hungry again....

No comments:

Post a Comment