Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Getting to the grocery store

I was determined to make up for Sunday morning's disaster of a run. It was getting late on Sunday and I was faced with a dilemma: run or grocery shopping? I wanted to run and I needed to get groceries, but time was quickly running out for doing both. Then inspiration hit. Why not run to the grocery store?

A quick search on Google Maps comfirmed that Trader Joe's was only about 4 miles away. "I can do that!" I thought to myself. So, arming myself with debit card (to pay for said groceries), MetroCard (to get back home), and apt keys (to get INSIDE said home), I was out the door and on my way. It was glorious. A huge smile plastered on my face practically the entire way there.

Running along Riverside drive meant I didn't have to deal with ANY traffic or lights, and basically no hills, so I could just cruise along to my hearts content. Except for the few slush puddles it was relatively smooth sailing the entire way. Couples, dog walkers, and fellow runners were out in droves on the promenade. Probably getting in their exercise time outside before the big game

As 79th street approached, my spirits soared even higher. The run went by in the blink of an eye! However, I misjudged the distance... Trader Joe's was actually at 72nd. So I had to dig deep and continue to push myself in and all-out sprint along Broadway for an extra .4 miles. I arrived at my destination pouring sweat and positively elated. Took a moment to collect myself then headed in to gather up some groceries for my next cooking experiment. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment