Friday, February 15, 2013

Brooklyn Half, here I come!

I'm registered for the Brooklyn Half Marathon!! It's going to be my first half marathon since September 2011! I am really excited about this. May 18, 2012 is the big day.

I caught wind of registration earlier this week and immediately decided to do this race.  Friday morning at work, I was watching the clock like a hawk, ready to register the second registration opened, at 12pm on the dot. I even excused myself from a meeting early just to make sure I wouldn't miss out (yes, this race is THAT popular and it sells out extremely quickly).

My excitement came with a steep price tag though. $75 to be exact. That is a lot of money for a race!!  Is this how much NYRR is charging these days!?  Granted I let my membership expire last year so my registration costs slightly more than it does for NYRR members, but still... races are expensive these days. No wonder I stopped running.

This will be my grand foray back into the world of racing and I couldn't be more excited about it. The Brooklyn Half is a wonderful race.  I ran in May 2011 and it's one of my all-time favorite races. 

The Brooklyn Half is SUCH a fun race and I have nothing but good memories from that day. It was a fantastic kick-off to the summer, the first time I'd ever been to Coney Island, etc.  It's the perfect time of year when the weather starts getting warm again, and it's just an all around great race.  Easily the best out of the 5-borough series and the only race I've ran in NYC that I can say hands-down is a "must do." 

It's even better now that I live in Brooklyn, right by Prospect Park.  I can walk to the starting line!!!!  No more waking up at 4:30 am just to travel an hour on the subway to get there! woot!

Last year, I was completely out of touch with the running community.  Thanks to figure training, I had to give up distance running entirely, and I completely missed last year's race. 2012 in general was a very sad year in my running career. After missing last year, I'm especially psyched to be running this race again! Training will be fun, running around my new 'hood, through the park, over bridges, along the waterfront, and all around Brooklyn. So thankful for an excuse to get out for some leisurely long runs once the weather starts getting warmer.

I've been running lots of sprints lately, so I'm going to PR this race, I just know it.  That's my goal anyway, and it's very attainable, so I'm going out on a limb here and just declaring that I'm going to PR.  My previous Half Marathon PR is from June 2011 - nearly 2 years ago - and my last PR before that was from 2009 - another 2 years earlier.  So, I'm definitely due for another half marathon PR!

No comments:

Post a Comment